Monday, March 21, 2022

Why I used the 4:3 aspect ratio


 In my film I have made the decision to make the template of my frame a 4:3 aspect ratio, I have done this to establish an idea of my characters seeming trapped. this effect is created because we are used to seeing a more panoramic frame so when it is square it is uncomfortable and it makes the charecter seem boxed into a world they perceive as scary. It also visually communicates my psychological aspect and possibly helps the viewer to understand how Casey feels. I have also done this because my choice to use leading lines and symmetry in my film to suggest something is off about my characters and this world looks better with square format in my opinion.


                                               the lighthouse, 2019

the lighthouse is a psychological thriller that uses square format and I feel the battles the characters experience in their mind are represented amazingly through this choice of aspect ratio by the director Robert Eggers, Winslow is going through torment in his mind and at the end he drinks excessively and tries to kill his coworker to try and get out of it but he cannot. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Film